You can Have It All when booking with United Cruises instead of just booking with the cruise line. We will give you our exclusive bonus offers, plus all of Holland America Cruise Line offers, plus all of the Mariner Club benefits. Book your next Holland America cruise today! Call us at 800-211-2039 if you need help finding the perfect cruise.
Great news! Holland America Cruise line is continuously updating their protocols to allow more guests to travel! We are your resource for the most up to date information around vaccination & testing requirements, whether you will need a mask, taking shore excursions, and health & safety measurements taken by the cruise line.
Holland America welcomes the CDC’s decision to end its current program in favor of a set of guidelines for public health operations on cruise ships. This change is a testament to the effectiveness of protocols put in place following the resumption of sailing, with cruising being among the safest forms of travel today.
At this time, Holland America will continue to review the newest guidelines, but there are no immediate changes to current COVID-19 protocols for Holland America Line itineraries.
Until further notice, these are the requirements guests on sailings from the U.S. and Canada.
Vaccines: Guests ages 12 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated. Children under 5 years of age do not need to be vaccinated. Children between 5-11 years of age may be unvaccinated but will need to go through an exemption process.
Testing: All guests ages 2 and older are required to take a pre-travel Covid-19 test. The type and timing of the test is dependent on the embarkation country and vaccination status.
Need to know Information
Pre-cruise boarding checklist:
- Complete online health questionnaire 72-24 hours prior to sailing using the Navigator mobile app or online check-in
- Negative viral COVID-19 test taken within 2 days of departure
- Vaccine card (Digital or paper records, or QR codes)
- Masks are recommended.
- Shore excursion requirements
- Passport Book or Passport Card, valid for at least six months after your cruise, is recommended.
- No passport? Bring a state-certified U.S. Birth Certificate + a valid Driver's License or picture ID issued by the government for age 16 and older.
- If the name doesn't match, bridging documents are required, like a Marriage Certificate.
Holland America Health & Safety FAQs
What are the Pre-Cruise COVID-19 Testing Requirements?
Holland America will require ALL fully vaccinated guests to produce a negative, medically observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 2 or 3 days of their embarkation based on being fully vaccinated on cruises through September 30, 2022.
Guests embarking in a Canadian port OR a U.S. port that includes Canada in the itinerary:
- All guests aged 2 and older are required to take either an antigen COVID-19 test within 2 days of embarkation or PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to embarkation or arrival for the land portion of a Cruisetour.
Guests embarking from a U.S. port that does not include Canada in the itinerary:
- All guests aged two and older who are up to date with their vaccines, i.e., received a booster if eligible, may take their antigen or PCR COVID-19 test within 3 days prior to sailing.
Guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within three (3) days prior to sailing.
- Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose(s), when eligible.
- If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within two (2) days prior to sailing.
- For guests embarking in the United States, please note that testing in the terminal will not be available so it’s critical that you have your negative test results with you at cruise check-in. Holland America will not be able to accommodate guests without proof of a negative test.
- For guests embarking in Europe, All guests ages five and above will require a medically observed, negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 3-days of embarkation (for Greece embarkations the requirement is 2-day antigen or 3-day PCR COVID-19 test which has been observed in-person by medical personnel).
Alaska: For cruises originating from a Canadian port, guests who are up to date with their vaccines or fully vaccinated may take their COVID-19 PCR test within 3-days prior to sailing or an antigen test within 2-days before sailing.
- Land first Cruisetours: Cruisetour guests 2 years of age or older must now produce a negative COVID-19 test at the start of their pre-cruise land tour. The test must be medically observed and can be an antigen test taken within 2 days or a PCR test taken within 3 days of the start of the tour.
- Cruise first Cruisetours: Guests will need to comply with the testing guidance for departures from the U.S. or Canada.
Where can I take a COVID-19 test?
- Guests may take their COVID-19 test at any participating drug store (Walgreens, CVC).
- Schedule an appointment with your medical professional or health department.
- Order an FDA-authorized at-home test kit that include a telehealth service, shipped to your door. Please place your order with enough time to be shipped prior to your boarding. Holland America Line has partnered with Optum and Radeas.
- Curative provides testing via drive-throughs, kiosks, or mobile sites You will be able to find a location and schedule a service at one of their 10,000 sites.
- At Terminal: There will be a limited number of tests at the terminal for $100 per person in Ft Lauderdale and San Diego.
Guests will be administered a complimentary rapid antigen test at the cruise terminal during the check-in process. Holland America strongly encourages all guests to take a COVID-19 test prior to leaving home to avoid travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation Guests may be required to produce a negative COVID-19 test prior to travel. Please check with your airline and the arrival country’s requirements in advance of travel.
Do I need a vaccine to cruise with Holland America?
Guests ages 12 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated. Children under 5 years of age do not need to be vaccinated. Children between 5-11 years of age may be unvaccinated but will need to go through an exemption process.
Holland America cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and have proof of vaccination. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination and the dates given will be required and will need to be shown at the terminal prior to boarding. Failure to provide this evidence will result in denial of boarding.
Guests who travel internationally should always ensure they understand all entry and airline requirements to travel (including connecting airports) to and from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel COVID-19 testing.
What Proof of Vaccination do I need to provide?
A valid Digital COVID-19 Certificate or certificate/document to include the following information:
- Name, Date of birth
- COVID-19 vaccine product name; manufacturer, number of doses in the series, date of vaccination, country of vaccination, certificate issuer and a unique certificate identifier
- Alternative proof may be required if there are questions and concerns about the proof of vaccination you produce.
- During check-in at the terminal, you will be required to show full proof of vaccination.
- If you are unable to produce the described proof of vaccination, you will be denied boarding without refund, credit, or compensation of any kind.
Which COVID-19 vaccines will be accepted?
Acceptable vaccines are those that are approved, or have an emergency use authorization or listing from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Pfizer: 2 Doses
- Moderna: 2 Doses
- Johnson & Johnson: 1 Dose
- AstraZeneca: 2 Doses
- Sinopharm: 2 doses
- Sinovac: 2 Doses
- Novavax: 2 Doses
Can I have mixed vaccines?
Guests will be considered fully vaccinated if at least 2 doses of an authorized vaccine were administered at least 28 days apart, with the last dose given at least 14 days before sailing.
- Pfizer - 2 Dose Series
- Moderna - 2 Dose Series
- Johnson & Johnson - 1 Dose Series
- AstraZeneca - 2 Dose Series
- Sinopharm - 2 Dose Series
- Sinovac - 2 Dose Series
- Covaxin - 2 Dose Series
- Novavax - 2 Dose Series
Will I need a COVID-19 Booster?
COVID-19 vaccine boosters are required for guests whose final dose of an approved/authorized COVID-19 vaccine is older than 9 months (270 days). Guests without a booster after this time are not considered “fully vaccinated”. Only one booster dose is required to be considered fully vaccinated. We strongly encourage guests to stay up to date on vaccinations based on any updated guidelines, but at this time, a single booster dose will meet all booster requirements for cruising.
Can children sail if not vaccinated?
Children of all ages are once again eligible to sail with Holland America Line. While children are welcome aboard any of our cruises worldwide, all guests ages 5 years and older must be fully vaccinated to sail. Children under 5 years of age will be allowed to sail on all cruises without a vaccine.
Guests should always ensure they understand all requirements to travel to their home country and the destinations they plan to visit.
We do not collect vaccination cards or store proof of vaccination. Those cruise lines that have vaccine requirements to cruise will likely ask for proof at the time of boarding.
Will I be required to wear a face mask?
- Masks are recommended on board but not required. However, masks may be required in certain venues and events. Please pay close attention to onboard signage Required on Alaska cruises that sail to/from Whittier and Vancouver.
- If masks are required, they must cover the nose and mouth at all times when indoors and outdoors when physical distancing cannot be maintained, as well as during embarkation, disembarkation and when on transportation.
- Face coverings such as bandanas, neck gaiters, and masks with exhaust valves are not allowed. Please note that visors and face shields will not be accepted as a substitute for a face mask.
Can I explore the port destinations independently?
At this time, fully vaccinated guests can explore destinations on their own or on independent third-party tours. This is subject to change at any time; however, it is highly recommended you choose shore excursions that are in contact with local officials who oversee health and safety standards for these guides and tours.
The ability for guests to go ashore in ports of call is controlled by the governments of the ports we visit based on their individual COVID-19 protocols and requirements, which are quickly evolving and being updated. Please be aware that as destination conditions change, you may be required to take a shore excursion to go ashore.
Can I smoke in the Casino?
There is no smoking in the Casino at all times. Casino dealers will wear Personal Protective Equipment including face shields.
Will I still be able to enjoy the buffet?
Yes, the buffet will still be open and available for all guests and will be served by teammates at all times. Line monitors will also manage guest flow.
Are you ready to book your next vacation? Book with United Cruises for great fares and valuable benefits! You get more when you book with us instead of booking directly with the cruise line. We give you our exclusive bonus offers, plus all qualifying cruise line offers, plus all of the cruise line loyalty program benefits.
Call 800-211-2039 or book online at United Cruises today.
Check here for the most up to date information on each Cruise Destination, including vaccination requirements, mask mandates, shore excursions, and insurance requirements.